The WSK-TNg Summer School in Autumn 2009
From Communication to Collaboration
Welcome to the WSK-TNg Summer School in Autumn 2009 homepage. Please find an overview over contents and purpose of the symposium in the abstract below. Browse the menu on the left to access important information for planning your stay.
Date: November, 2nd (Mon) - 7th (Sat), 2009
Place: Waseda University, Nishi-Waseda Science and Engineering Campus, Tokyo, Japan
» Important News
- We are looking for photos of the Summer School. We would like to collect a few and post them online or compile a little book or something like that. So if you took some nice ones and are willing to share them, please send them to us.
- Please send us your poster files as .pdf (size requirement about 1MB).
- The deadline for having a hotel room booked through the WSK-TNg Summer School office has passed. We would like to ask you to contact the hotels to book a room directly.
- November, 3rd (Wednesday) is a public holiday in Japan. On that day all gates of the Nishi-Waseda campus will be closed except the main gate. Please enter through the main gate and state to the guard that you are attending the GCOE Summer School.
- The Around and About page has been added with additional information about the Summer School.
With the advent of the aging society, there will be an increased demand for the practical application of RT (Robot Technology) in lifestyle-related areas such as healthcare and quality-of-life assurance. It is expected that this demand will lead to the creation of new key industries. The Japanese market only for robots is estimated to be about 6.2 trillion yen in 2025. This estimate, which is about 12 times the current market, strongly indicates the potential for RT to develop into an industry second only to automobiles, electronics, and information technology.
To meet these expectations, and to develop a truly intelligent social infrastructure for RT, it is urgent that we foster young researchers to work on RT with an international perspective.
Last Summer School focused on the creation of strong, international and interdisciplinary groups, and promoted the communication between their members. The WSK-TNg Robotics School 2009 concentrates on the development of a systematic theory of RT that fashions a new relation between people/society and machine systems and on evolving robotics from an aggregate of several fields into a unified discipline of science, technology, and engineering, while at the same time working to understand related socio-economic issues.
Twelve invited speakers from five universities and one company will introduce the topic From Communication to Collaboration to a selected group of students. A variety of subjects within this field will be addressed, such as the basis of RT (mechanical engineering, control engineering, materials engineering, electrical and electronic engineering, information engineering, and ergonomics) and many other disciplines, including medicine, physiology, psychology, and neuroscience, as well as sociology, law, and ethics.
Download Flyer (.pdf - right click to select download)
» WSK-TNg Summer School in Autumn 2009 is organized by:
- Global COE for Waseda University "Global Robot Academia"
- Global COE for the Advanced Robotics Technology and Systems Lab of Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna
- Global COE for the Center for Intelligent Robotics, Frontier 21 Program at KIST - Korean Institute of Science and Technology
- Global COE for Cybernics of the University of Tsukuba
- Global COE for Education and Research of Micro-Nano Mechatronics of the University of Nagoya
- RoboCasa, Italy-Japan Joint Laboratory on Humanoid and Personal Robotics